Today I’m feeling okay about my research so I thought I’d take that opportunity to give an update. Now why would it matter if I’m feeling ‘okay’ about it? Why don’t I just always want to talk about it?! Isn’t it awesome!? Well, yes, my research is neat. However, I have jumped into this project at a rather slow stage. Let me explain;
The technical, want to impress people way to explain what I’m studying is;
“I am studying the acceleration and disruption of cold gas in galaxy outflows using hydrodynamic simulations that include magnetic fields and anisotropic conduction.”
Cool, right? You’ll even find this exact description on my advisors page about his research group. Now, the easier to understand way to say what I do is;
“I make computer models to study how magnetic fields effect how cold gas is disrupted as warm gas passes by it. I get to use supercomputers.”
- learned how to run problems on a supercomputer
- worked with tech support to get the Hypre linear solver installed on the supercomputer
- figured out how to compile the new program
- found an indexing error in the matrix construction
- wrote a routine to print out checkpoint variables
- changed and adjusted the checkpoint variables
- avoided an issue with the boundaries, by moving the box of cold gas to the center of the simulation
- learned how the Hypre code works
- got much more comfortable with the text editor vi and using the command line
So; this is what I look at all the time – regardless of whether its working or not….
Here’s to more progress next semester!